Dear folks of Pender, Mayne, Galiano and Saturna,
When the pandemic first hit, the GULF ISLANDS FOOD CO-OP used our remaining grant funds for direct support to island and Tsawout food banks plus Saturna food bags, meals for vulnerable people programs, and to help island food producers buy some supplies to keep going.
Now we continue to be SO amazed… by how island producers, people, and groups keep coming together, to meet each new challenge with resilience!
We are also very grateful for renewed Vancity Envirofund and CRD funding, which we are using to support these new or renewed socially distanced CO-OP PROGRAMS to support island food security:
* CO-OP TABLES for joint selling at Saturday Markets: see images below and more at…
* Sept 26 & 27 Galiano INDIGENOUS VENISON WORKSHOP (other islanders welcome, register asap)
https://gulfislandsfoodco-op.org/venison-workshop/ (taught by Penelakut Elders on traditional Coast Salish territories; Co-op a supporting partner with Galiano Conservancy & Galiano Food Program)
* September 19? (TBC) Saturna “LET NO APPLE BE WASTED!” Food Preservation event for a bumper crop
https://gulfislandsfoodco-op.org/apple-workshops/ (Co-op partnering with Saturna Community Resource Centre)
see future announcements on Co-op Education page at https://gulfislandsfoodco-op.org/education-references/
* Mayne socially distanced Food PRESERVATION WORKSHOP ? – email firstname.lastname@example.org with any ideas for this, and if you’d like to be paid to organize it.
Note: some workshop events also being video-recorded for sharing online
* CO-OP EQUIPMENT BORROWING PROGRAM Food Dehydrators and Pressure Canners on Pender, Mayne and Saturna
Sign-up system: https://gulfislandsfoodco-op.org/equipment-borrowing/ (Galiano – contact Galiano Food Program)
Plus more to come… you inspire our little Co-op to keep trying to do our part!