serving Producers, Eaters, and Local Food Sustainability! (in the Southern Gulf Islands, BC, Canada)
The GULF ISLANDS FOOD CO-OP (GIFC) is a non-profit co-op, focused on supporting the food producers, food groups, eaters, and local food resilience of the islands of Pender, Mayne, Galiano, and Saturna. This is within the beautiful Coast Salish W̱SÁNEĆ traditional territories where we are grateful to be.
We offer free or low-cost services to island food producers of all types and sizes (e.g. commercial and non-commercial, gardeners, livestock producers, non-Indigenous and Indigenous, fishers, value-added sellers and more). The main goal is to help increase food production capacity, and to encourage community members to buy local food.
SEPTEMBER, 2019: The GIFC has now begun offering the first of the NEW SERVICES BELOW. Thanks to Vancity, CRD, and Community Works funding, we are paying islanders to work on the following:
(1) CO-OP TABLES for joint selling at island Saturday Markets, for producers who don’t need their own table each week (successfully initiated on Galiano and Mayne this past summer, and now at the Pender Winter Market);
(2) JOINT BULK BUYING for less expensive purchasing of key things needed by food and livestock producers, e.g. see our first Bird Netting Bulk Buy, and make a suggestion for what your island’s producers need in bulk;
(3) FREE HAULING of compostable materials for soil building, e.g. manure, leaves, plant waste, wood chips, soil amendments (now gearing up – tell us what you have or need);
(4) ADDITIONAL INDIGENOUS OUTREACH & CO-OPERATION to follow up on Saturna and Pender Tsawout gatherings (Galiano and outreach with Penelakut next);
(5) CO-OP ECOMMERCE ready to go, for producers who want to try selling online through the Co-op (with 5% admin fee, just the cost of our highly secure, credit card payment system);
CONTACT Co-op Coordinator Nancy Klein at email@example.com or 250-629-0039 if you are interested or have questions/suggestions about any of the above.
See also the GULF ISLANDS FOOD REGISTRY of 66 amazing commercial food producers on our islands, plus 12 island food groups that are also key to local food sustainability.
You can easily register online to BECOME A CO-OP MEMBER – for food producers of any type, or Co-op supporters. Then you will be sure to hear about future offerings, and also help us grow in our services to you!
Nancy Klein, Gulf Islands Food Co-op Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Logo design: Mae Moore