serving Producers, Eaters, and Local Food Sustainability! (in the Southern Gulf Islands, BC, Canada)
The GULF ISLANDS FOOD CO-OP (GIFC) is a non-profit co-op, focused on supporting the food producers, food groups, eaters, and local food resilience of the islands of Pender, Mayne, Galiano, and Saturna. This is within the beautiful Coast Salish W̱SÁNEĆ traditional territories where we are grateful to be.
We offer free or low-cost services to island food producers of all types and sizes (e.g. commercial and non-commercial, gardeners, livestock producers, non-Indigenous and Indigenous, fishers, value-added sellers and more). We currently have 77 voting Members from all four Southern Gulf Islands (including 61 Producers), 600+ island contacts who support food security, and a Gulf Islands Food Registry of 66 SGI Commercial Food Producers and 12 SGI Food Groups.
The CO-OP’s MAIN GOALS are to help maintain and increase island food production and capacity, to encourage more buying of local food, and to follow through on key practical recommendations of the Southern Gulf Islands Food & Agriculture Strategy.
APRIL, 2021 UPDATE: The inspiring Co-op activities below (socially distanced or online) ran from summer, 2020 to the present, thanks hugely to Vancity, the CRD, plus Community Works funds! For the LATEST ACTIVITY AND REFERENCES, see the Co-op’s EDUCATION & VIDEO PAGE. We are currently confirming funding for new projects beginning May, 2021. We continue to be SO amazed… by how island producers, people, and groups keep coming together, to meet each new COVID and other challenge with resilience!
* 2020 CO-OP TABLES for joint selling at Saturday Markets: see more at…
* Sept 26 & 27, 2020 Galiano INDIGENOUS VENISON WORKSHOP (taught by Penelakut Elders on traditional Coast Salish territories; Co-op a supporting partner with Galiano Conservancy & Galiano Food Program)
* September 19 Saturna “LET NO APPLE BE WASTED!” Food Preservation event for a bumper crop (Co-op partnering with Saturna Community Resource Centre – see VIDEO)
* September 20 Pender VEGETABLE FERMENTATION WORKSHOP(an ancient and energy saving food preservation technique – see VIDEO)
* spring to October, 2020 Pender SQUASHFEST EDUCATIONAL PROJECT (including seed distribution, and then displays, sales & education at the Saturday Market – see VIDEO)
* fall, 2020 and ongoing: CO-OP EQUIPMENT BORROWING PROGRAM Food Dehydrators and Pressure Canners on Pender, Mayne and Saturna. Sign-up system: https://gulfislandsfoodco-op.org/equipment-borrowing/ (Galiano – contact Galiano Food Program)
* Feb to April, 2021: Co-op currently working on a Southern Gulf Islands LOCAL FOOD SYSTEMS ASSET MAP & PRIORITIES ROAD MAP funded by the CRD (Southern Gulf Islands Community Economic Sustainability Commission).
In addition, we are planning the return of our highly successful CO-OP TABLES FOR JOINT SELLING at island Saturday Markets, plus 3 other new projects! More announcements will be made as soon as we finish confirming this year’s funding :-)
To support Co-op activities like the above, you can easily MAKE A DONATION, and/or BECOME A CO-OP MEMBER ONLINE, primarily for food producers of any type, plus keen Co-op supporters. Then you can have input into FUTURE LOCAL FOOD RESILIENCE PROJECTS that we’re developing.
Our islands are stronger together… when we remember the old ways of cooperating, and create new ones too!
CONTACT: Roz Kempe, Gulf Islands Food Co-op President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Logo design: Mae Moore